Thursday, October 27, 2011

#12 Get an Interview

I woke up feeling much better than the night before (when I had been so stressed I had forgot Spanish for about the third time). I decided to figure out how to listen to my voicemails on my phone. "Oh that doesn't sound that hard" (Well trying doing that with a phone that was state-of-the-art in 2000). Anyways I listened to the voicemail and it didn't sound like one of the oh-so-many(3) people that I had talked to on my phone. Since my morning spanish isn't top notch I listened to it about 4 times and discovered it was interview! I was giddier(Its a word now, deal with it) than a school girl. Without even knowing it I had an opportunity to interview yesterday(right as I was thinking maybe I shouldn't be here.)

After another 5 times listening to it(Seriously speaking another language in the morning is tough)I wrote down the name & number, but I couldn't make out the name of the hostel. Well living with a family of Uruguayans has it perks and one of them is they know Spanish(No Way!) which is hella(also a word now) useful. I went to get said-Spanish-speaking-Uruguayan which is "really hard" to find here. "Luckily" I found one I gave him my phone and he called the voicemail. He told me I had no new messages. I thought no way, but I called and sure enough nothing...absolutely nothing(But I repeat myself). I thought(Put your favorite four-letter word here)->#$@#!. Para mis amigos que hablen español (Pone allá su favorito maldigo español)->#$$%^%$%$#%$#$#%$%%. If your American and a little confused right now Spanish Speakers have much more ummm... colorful expressions of frustration.

Well just like Twisted Sister I wasn't going to take it anymore. I was going to get that interview. Small problem, I had to call her back and my phone Spanish was about as comprehensible as a drunk(Grandma, don't ask me how I know that), but I had to do it. Well being nervous as hell I asked Monica(Mom always knows what to do) what to say. Thank god she stepped me through the basics like "Hi" and "I got your message"(Yes nerves completely destroys your understanding of Spanish). However, I knew this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up so I grew some ummm...well you know...and went to my room and called her.
(Hint: read the next post if you want to know what happened)

No comments:

Post a Comment